Online payment of Direct Taxes
An Assessee may have to pay Income-tax, Corporate tax (i.e., income-tax paid by a company),Tax deducted at source (TDS),Tax collected at source (TCS),Securities Transaction Tax (STT) ,Wealth-tax and other direct taxes like gift tax, expenditure tax, etc.In this article we discussed for whom online payment is Compulsory , what details is required to be filled in Challans and What the different codes in challans signifies.
There are two modes of payment of such taxes (i) physical mode i.e. payment by furnishing the hard copy of the challan at the designated bank; and (ii) e-payment mode i.e. making payment by using the electronic mode. In this part, you can gain knowledge about various provisions relating to e-payment of various direct taxes.
Earlier, we used to stand in queue for hours to book movie tickets, railway tickets, etc. but now we can relax at our place and perform these tasks using the internet. With the development of technology, the Government has also upgraded itself. Previously, the taxpayers have to wait in long queues at the banks for making the payment of tax, but after the introduction of e-payment facility one can pay tax quite comfortably from any place by using internet banking facility of the authorised banks.
Mandatory or compulsory e-payment It is compulsory for the following taxpayers to pay tax using the e-payment mode only (i.e., using internet banking facility). In other words, following persons cannot use the physical mode of payment of tax and have to pay the tax electronically using the e-payment facility:
- All companies
- All taxpayers other than company who are liable to get their accounts audited as per section 44AB.
As discussed earlier, e-payment is mandatory for all companies and all non-corporate taxpayers covered by audit under section 44AB. A person not covered in the mandatory category can voluntarily pay his tax by using the e-payment mode. E-payment saves time and efforts.
Benefits of e-payment
E-payment is time saving, simple, safe and this facility can be used at any time from anywhere.
Requirements for making e-payment
For making e-payment of taxes one should have only two things, an internet connection and a net banking enabled account in an authorised bank. If the taxpayer does not have a net banking enabled account, then he can make e-payment using a net banking enabled account of any other person but the tax should be paid in his name.
Taxes which can be paid electronically
Following direct taxes can be paid using the e-payment mode :
- Corporate tax (i.e., income-tax paid by a company)
- Tax deducted at source (TDS)
- Tax collected at source (TCS)
- Securities Transaction Tax (STT)
- Wealth-tax and other direct taxes like gift tax, expenditure tax, etc
Nature of challan to be used
Following are the Challans to be used for making payment of different direct taxes:
|Challan No.||Nature of tax payment|
|ITNS 280||For making payment of income-tax and Corporate tax (i.e. income-tax by companies)|
|ITNS 281||For making payment of TDS/TCS by corporate and non-corporate deductors/collectors|
|ITNS 282||For making payment of Securities transaction Tax, Wealth Tax and other direct taxes.|
|Form No. 26QB||For making payment of tax deducted at source in case of immovable property.|
General details to be provided in the Challans to be used for making payment of tax.
Following are few significant details which are common to all the above discussed challans:
- Correct Permanent Account Number of the taxpayer should be entered in case of payment of income-tax and correct Tax Deduction Account Number of the deductor should be entered in case of payment of TDS/TCS.
- Correct financial year/assessment year should be selected.
- Correct address of the taxpayer is to be provided along with correct Pin Code.
- Correct e-mail ID and correct phone number of the taxpayer should be provided.
Challan 280 specific details Challan 280 is to be used for making payment of Income-tax and Corporate tax. Following are few important points to be kept in mind while providing details in Challan 280:
♠ Taxpayer should make correct selection of applicable tax along with correct Code of respective tax. The Codes provided in the Challan 280 are :
- 0020- Code 0020 is for income-tax paid by companies
- 0021- Code 0021 is for income-tax paid by non-corporate taxpayers.
♠ Taxpayer should make correct selection of applicable type of payment along with correct Code of respective type of payment. The Codes for different type of payment provided in Challan 280 are :
- 100- Code 100 is for payment of advance tax
- 300- Code 300 is for payment of self assessment tax
- 400- Code 400 is for tax on regular assessment
- 106- Code 106 is for dividend distribution tax
- 107- Code 107 is for tax on distributed income to unit holders
- 102- Code 102 is for surtax.
Challan 281 specific details Challan
281 is to be used for making payment of TDS/TCS by corporate and non-corporate deductors/collectors. Following are few important points to be kept in mind while providing details in Challan 281:
♠ Correct selection of nature of deductee is to be made along with correct Code. The Codes provided in the Challan 281 are :
- 0020- Code 0020 is for company deductees
- 0021- 0021 is for non-company deductees.
♠ Correct selection of type of payment is to be made along with correct Code. The Codes provided in the Challan 281 are :
- 200- Code 200 is for TDS/TCS payable by taxpayer
- 400- Code 400 is for TDS/TCS to be paid on regular assessment.
♠ Correct selection of nature of payment should be made (i.e., TDS on salary, interest, commission, etc.) along with correct section.
Form 26QB specific details
Form 26QB is to be used for making payment of tax deducted at source from consideration paid for purchase of immovable property. It can be used by a corporate as well as non-corporate deductor. Following are few important points to be kept in mind while providing details in Form 26QB:
♠ Correct selection of nature of deductee is to be made along with correct Code. The Codes provided in Form 26QB are :
- 0020- Code 0020 is for company deductees
- 0021- Code 0021 is for non-company deductees.
♠ Selection of type of payment. In case of Form 26QB, by default there will be only one Code for type of payment, i.e., 800 (i.e. TDS on sale of property) and will be automatically selected.
♠ Permanent Account Number (PAN) of the transferee and transferor (to be provided in block letter).
♠ Category of the PAN of the transferee and transferor (will be automatically selected).
♠ Full name of the transferee and transferor.
♠ Address of the transferee and transferor.
♠ Selection for more than one transferee/buyer.
♠ Selection for more than one transferor/seller.
♠ Details of the property transferred along with complete address.
♠ Date of agreement/booking, sale consideration and type of payment (i.e., lump sum or on installment).
♠ Amount paid/credited (to be selected from the drop down provided).
♠ Amount of TDS and other details like rate of TDS, interest, fees, etc.
♠ Selection of mode of payment (i.e., payment through net banking or e-payment by visiting any of the bank branches).
♠ Date of payment/credit and date of deduction of tax at source.
Overview of e-payment procedure
Given below is the overview of the procedure to be followed while making e-payment of direct taxes:
- The e-payment gateway can be approached from tin-nsdl.com
- Open the respective chalan.
- After selecting the correct challan, the screen for providing details will be displayed, the taxpayer should provide the correct details in the challan (as discussed earlier).
- After providing all the requisite details correctly along with the correct Codes, the taxpayer should select his bank from the dropdown provided in the screen (i.e. the selection of the bank from which he wishes to make the payment).
- After selecting the applicable bank, the taxpayer should input the verification Code appearing on the screen.
- After providing the verification Code the taxpayer should click on the proceed button provided on the screen.
- On clicking on the proceed button, a new page will be displayed containing the details provided by the taxpayer in the Challan and the name of the taxpayer as per the data base of Income-tax Department will be displayed. The name will be displayed from the PAN/TAN database with the Department. In case of Form 26QB the name of the transferor and transferee will be displayed.
- If the name and other details as displayed on the screen are correct then the taxpayer can proceed for making payment by clicking on the submit to bank button provided on the screen.
- On submitting the challan to the bank, the gateway of the bank will be displayed on the screen and the taxpayer has to login to his account and input the details of tax, interest, cess, penalty, etc., to be paid.
- After providing the details he should verify the details once again to check the
correctness and then should submit the challan to bank for effecting payment.
- On successful completion of the transaction, the challan of payment (i.e., receipt of payment) will be generated and will be displayed on the screen.
- Challan will contain Challan Identification Number (CIN) and other details. The taxpayer should preserve the hard copy as well as soft copy of the Challan for his records and for further requirements.
Online payment of Direct Taxes
At CAKART www.cakart.in you will get everything that you need to be successful in your CA CS CMA exam – India’s best faculty video classes (online or in pen drive) most popular books of best authors (ebooks hard copies) best scanners and all exam related information and notifications.Visit www.cakart.in and chat with our counsellors any time. We are happy to help you make successful in your exams.
Click Here to download FREE CA CS CMA Text Books.