How to apply for a TAN
Any person who has to deduct TDS must obtain a TAN.
TAN can be obtained either before deducting TDS or within one month from the end of the month in which TDS is deducted.
A TAN can be applied for by submitting Form 49B to the Assessing Officer (AO). Form 49B can also be applied online.
Steps for preparing a TAN application ONLINE
- Click on this link and scroll to the bottom of the page, select your category of Deductor here.
- You’ll be redirected Form 49B page and you can start filing in the information.
- A fee of Rs 63 needs to be paid before submitting the form and details of payment have to be provided in the form.
- This payment can be made via DD, cheque, credit card or debit card or via net banking.
- Credit or Debit card payments – Applicants making payment using credit card or debit card will be charged an additional charge of up to 2% (plus applicable taxes) of fee.
- Net Banking payments – Applicants making payment through Net Banking facility will be charged an additional surcharge of Rs 4.00 + service tax. Select banks are available through which net banking can be used.
- Demand draft or cheque Demand draft shall be in favor of ‘NSDL – TIN’. Name of the applicant and the acknowledgment number to be mentioned on the reverse of the demand draft. DD shall be payable at Mumbai.
- Cheque payment – Cheque shall be in favour of ‘NSDL-TIN’. Applicants making payment by cheque shall deposit a local cheque (drawn on any bank) with any HDFC Bank branch across the country (except Dahej). The applicant shall mention TANNSDL on the deposit slip.
- After entering the details click on submit.
Preparing and submitting your TAN application ONLINE
- After clicking on submit an acknowledgment screen shall be displayed with a 14 digit acknowledgment number. Status & name of the applicant, contact details and payment details shall also be displayed.
- Please save & print this acknowledgement.
- Sign within the box provided in the acknowledgment.
- The signed acknowledgment with demand draft, if any, has to be sent to NSDL at
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411016
- At the top of the envelope mention ‘APPLICATION FOR TAN – Acknowledgment Number’ (e.g. ‘APPLICATION TAN – 88301020000244’).
- Your acknowledgment and demand draft, if any, should reach NSDL within 15 days from the date of online application.
- Application will be processed when a duly signed acknowledgment is received and payment is realised.
How to apply for a TAN
At CAKART www.cakart.in you will get everything that you need to be successful in your CA CS CMA exam – India’s best faculty video classes (online or in pen drive) most popular books of best authors (ebooks hard copies) best scanners and all exam related information and notifications.Visit www.cakart.in and chat with our counsellors any time. We are happy to help you make successful in your exams.
Click here to download FREE CA CS CMA books.