1. e-Mail Threats and Tips
e-Mails are just like postcards from which the information can be viewed by anyone. When a mail is transferred from one mail server to another mail server there are various stops at which there is a possibility of unauthorized users trying to view the information or modify it. Since a backup is maintained for an e-Mail server all the messages will be stored in the form of clear text though it has been deleted from your mailbox. Hence there is a chance of viewing the information by the people who are maintaining backups. So it is not advisable to send personal information through e-Mails.
Examples of General Information Technology Security Awareness
• Say you have won a lottery of million dollars, Getting or receiving such kind of mails is a great thing, and really it’s the happiest thing. However these mails may not be true. By responding to such kind of mails many people lost huge amount of money. So ignore such kind of e-Mails, do not participate in it and consider it as a scam.
• Sometimes e-Mails offering free gifts and asking personal information are received from unknown addresses . This is one way to trap your personal information. • One way of stealing the password is standing behind an individual and looking over their password while they are typing it or searching for the papers where they have written the password.
2. Online Banking Online
Banking can also be referred as Internet Banking. It is the practice of making bank transactions or paying bills through the internet. We can do all financial transactions by sitting at home or office. Online banking can be used for making deposits, withdrawals or we can even use it for paying bills online. The benefit of it is the convenience for customers to do banking transactions . The customers need not wait for bank statements, which arrive by e-mail to check their account balance. They can check their balance each and every day by just logging into their account. They can catch the discrepancies in the account and can act on it immediately.
TIPS for General Information Technology Security Awareness
• Never click web links in your e-mail and no bank will ask you to update the accounts through online.
• Never provide personal information including your passwords, credit card information, account numbers to unknown persons.
• Never keep username, account name and passwords at one place. Always try to remember passwords.
• Always use phishing filters at your Internet browser.
• Do not click any images in the web sites if you are unsure.
• Confirm whether email is received from bank or not.
• Be cautious while providing bank details via online, before proceed further confirm with bank about the email you received. Think that if something is important or urgent why don’t bank calling me instead of sending email?
• Delete all cookies and history file before you perform online transactions. General Information Technology Security Awareness
• Always use virtual keyboard while accessing online banking. General Information Technology Security Awareness
• Delete all the history and cookies once you are done with online transactions. • Avoid accessing online banking in cybercafes.
3. Guidelines for securing mobile devices
• Be careful while downloading applications through Bluetooth or as MMS attachments. They may contain some harmful software, which will affect the mobile phone.General Information Technology Security Awareness
• Keep the Bluetooth connection in an invisible mode, unless you need some user to access your mobile phone or laptops. If an unknown user tries to access the mobile phone or laptop through blue tooth, move away from the coverage area of blue tooth so that it automatically gets disconnected.
• Avoid downloading the content into mobile phone or laptop from an un trusted source. General Information Technology Security Awareness
• Delete the MMS message received from an unknown user without opening it.
• Read the mobile phone’s operating instructions carefully mainly regarding the security settings, pin code settings, Bluetooth settings, infrared settings and procedure to download an application.General Information Technology Security Awareness This will help in making your mobile phone secure from malicious programs. General Information Technology Security Awareness
• Activate the pin code request for mobile phone access. Choose a pin, which is unpredictable and which is easy to remember for you. General Information Technology Security Awareness
• Use the call barring and restriction services provided by operators, to prevent the applications that are not used by you or by your family members.
• Don’t make you mobile phone as a source for your personal data, which is dangerous if it falls in to the hands of strangers.General Information Technology Security Awareness It is advisable not to store important information like credit card and bank cards passwords, etc in a mobile phone.
• Note the IMEI code of your cell phone and keep it in a safe place. This helps the owner to prevent access to the stolen mobile. The operator can block a phone using the IMEI code.
General Information Technology Security Awareness
At CAKART www.cakart.in you will get everything that you need to be successful in your CA CS CMA exam – India’s best faculty video classes (online or in pen drive) most popular books of best authors (ebooks hard copies) best scanners and all exam related information and notifications.Visit www.cakart.in and chat with our counsellors any time. We are happy to help you make successful in your exams.
Click Here to download FREE CA CS CMA Text Books.