CIMA Strategic level case study – Complete Information
CIMA Strategic level case study – The focus of Strategic level is on the long term and setting the strategy for the business. In the Strategic Case Study exam, your role will be that of a Senior Finance Manager.The Case Study exam is essentially a virtual business role play. Therefore, students need to understand their role within the case study exam in order to produce a good answer, demonstrating knowledge and applying skills from across the syllabus
CIMA Strategic level case study
CIMA Strategic level case study – The table below provides an overview of the role students are expected to take on at Strategic Study exam, who they will be seeking to influence and examples of the syllabus area they may be tested upon.
|Who are you?||At Strategic level, your role will be that of a Senior Finance Manager.|
Equivalent job titles in a real organisation might be:
|What is the main focus of your role?|| Overall focus|
Long term and setting the strategy for the business.You may be involved in
You will need to understand
|Who is your audience/who are you seeking to influence?||Chief Financial Officer/Board, senior management team – other senior non-financial staff.|
|Examples of topic areas and tasks you may be asked to look at in the exam (based on Variant 1 of the Nov 2015 Management Case Study exam)|| Your roleYou are a Senior Finance Manager employed by Wodd, a forestry company which was founded in 1983 and has been a quoted company since 2001. Wodd is based in Marland, a European country, heavily industrialised in the South, but with large uninhabited areas in the North. Its climate is temperate and is well suited to growing timber.|
The emphasis in the Strategic Case Study exam is the Enterprise pillar and showing a balance of skills across all competency areas but all subjects will be tested. During the exam you will need to demonstrate:
|Competency weightings for your exam||Competency Weighting is the basis of distribution of marks from various sections in the SCS exam. You will have to obtain minimum threshold marks(approximately 1/3) for each competency along with score of 80 to pass the Strategic Case Study exam.|
Technical skills – 25%
Must Read :
CIMA Strategic level case study Exams Further information
Format: computer based
Availability: four windows each year (Feb, May, Aug, Nov) at any of the 5,000 Pearson VUE centres around the world
Length: 3 hours
Marking: human marked
Results: available 5 weeks after the close of the exam window
The Case Study exams are used to test a variety of skills including research and analysis, how to present information, persuasion and communication skills. The move to more Case Study exams has been deliberate to test a wider range of skills and integrated learning across the syllabus
Case Study exams reflect a real life business scenario, comprising a series of time bound tasks set for students to complete based on pre-seen material.
- Pre-seen material released to tutors: 9 weeks prior to the exam window through MY CIMA (Tutor log in details required)
- Pre-seen material released to students: 6 weeks prior to the exam window through CIMAconnect (Student contact ID and password required)
CIMA Strategic Level Case Study Exam Timing
The CIMA Strategic Level Case Study Preseens
- The exam questions based on pre-seen material.
- The preseen material includes:
- A two page company summary featuring the key facts
- Analysis of the industry
- Financial information and data, for example; Profit and Loss accounts, cash flow statements and balance sheets.
- Unlike the old T4 you will not be required to do research to any great depth on the industry. You do however need to have an understanding of industry and also the company.
The CIMA Strategic Level Case Study Unseens
- The unseens for the CIMA strategic case study exams are given to you in the exam. It will consist of:
- 4-5 individual tasks, that’s about 45 mins a task! 3 hours in total.
- Like a real day at work you will be given new information and tasks at intervals throughout the examination
- This new info may be anything from a data report to an email from ‘your boss’ and will not contain a set task/requirement, but may contain some crucial information.
- To reiterate a point mentioned earlier; time management will be more important than ever particularly as you will NOT be able to go back to a finished task later.