“All I have learned, I learned from books.” ― Abraham Lincoln
Said by one of the most iconic personalities in the history of time; the fact rings true – there is no study like self-study. More so, in present times, where a student’s day is divided into 6 hours of school, 3-4 hours of tuition, 1-2 hours of travelling and other routine activities; much lefts to be desired when it comes to self-study, which, of course, is essential.
You’re left with two options, either increase the no. of hours you give to ‘self-study’ or increase its efficiency. The former gets tough with your already “jam packed schedule”, the latter – well, you can do something about it!
Find below, 10 tips that will greatly the quality of your ‘self-study’ hours.
- Set a daily study time: This time shouldn’t change. Setting a specific time for studying increases focus and makes sure that no unnecessary distractions come in the way of you and your books.
- Read out loud or to someone else: Reading information out loud lets you remember information longer because you are hearing yourself say the information as well as you are saying the information. This technique covers both audio and verbal aspects of learning.
- Set goals for studying: Think about what you want to accomplish, and by what time. This way, you become more focused towards finishing your goal. It can be as simple as “Study multiplication tables 20 minutes a day until the test on Friday”.
- Study in a quiet, distraction-free area: Don’t study in the living room while the TV is on, because you are bound to get distracted. Instead, opt for a quieter setting, such as your room. Clear an area on your desk for work, and your concentration level will be higher.
- Think of a creative way to remember information: A simple rhyme, pattern, or even a made up story can help you remember information longer, as well as make learning fun! Also, you can try and relate the topic to your personal life, and build connections with the real-world.
- Space out study sessions: Never cram. Cramming all the information may get you to pass the test the next day, but when exams come, you won’t remember a thing. Instead, you can space out your study sessions, and take your own time for each topic. Rather than doing a 4 hour session, divide it up into 4 one hour sessions, and take breaks in between to clear your head a little.
- Review information the same day: During class, you may get a little distracted and miss some parts of information. What you should do to fill in these gaps is to review the information the same day you learned about it. This helps bring the information you learned, as well as the information you missed, and bridges them together.
- Learn using different methods: Start out reading the information, and then move on to a different technique! Create notecards, make an activity, or watch some videos using the same information. Learning in multiple ways can impact how well you remember information.
- Clear your emotions: Thinking “I don’t want to study” isn’t going to help you. In fact, it is going to affect your learning. If you are feeling stressed, angry or sleepy, chances are that you may read the information, but you won’t be learning anything.
- Use other apps, such as iProf, to create a different way of learning: With apps such as iProf, self-study becomes much easier, and the information is retained for a longer duration of time. The app includes interactive activities, which engage the mind, leading to a better overall remembrance of the information.
Other than these tips, remember to eat good food such as nuts, or food that contains lots of protein. Avoid junk food, as they don’t benefit the mind. Take walks or a short break in between study sessions, and stay determined to finish something. Using these methods, you can pass that test.
10 Tips to Step-Up your Self Study
At CAKART www.cakart.in you will get everything that you need to be successful in your CA CS CMA exam – India’s best faculty video classes (online or in pen drive) most popular books of best authors (ebooks hard copies) best scanners and all exam related information and notifications.Visit www.cakart.in and chat with our counsellors any time. We are happy to help you make successful in your exams.